IRS e-file Refund Cycle Chart
What to Expect for Refunds in 2017
Use Where’s My Refund? to Check the Status of Your Refund
Where’s My Refund? is updated no more than once every 24 hours, usually overnight.
When to check status of your refund:
- Within 24 hours after we’ve received your e-filed tax return; or
- 4 weeks after mailing your paper return.
When the IRS processes your tax return and approves your refund, you can see your actual personalized refund date. Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days after we receive your tax return, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer.
You should only call if it has been:
- 21 days or more since you filed electronically;
- More than 6 weeks since you mailed your paper return; or
- The Where’s My Refund? tool directs you to contact us.